Questions About Process
- How does the committee usually operate during this process?
- What do you think about having Joe Smith and Jane Doe as other members? Should I approach them now, or wait until I have a prospectus or draft of my proposal? (At what stage do I have the committee sign the form?)
- Do you prefer emails or telephone calls for communication?
- For written work, do you accept emailed drafts, or only US mail?
- About how much time should I allow for your review?
- Is it better to wait until I have relatively polished drafts, or do you prefer to see smaller chunks of writing more frequently?
- Do you prefer to see each chapter when completed, or parts of the chapter? Should I submit each chapter as completed or multiple chapters at once? Do you prefer to see them in the order I write them as they are finished, or in the order they will end up in the dissertation?
- When should I submit chapters to other members? Should I wait until after you have reviewed them, or submit them to all of you at the same time? Do I submit copies at each stage to all members, or do other members decide how they would like to see them?
- How do I manage feedback from committee members- should I discuss their recommendations with you before incorporating suggestions? What if there are contradictory recommendations?
- In setting up a timeline, what are reasonable goals for time to complete:
- Complete first draft of dissertation
- Final dissertation with revisions
- About how much time should I plan to complete the dissertation from start to finish? When should I plan to go on the job market relative to my dissertation progress?
- What are the average page lengths for a typical dissertation?
- Any other helpful advice or suggestions?
- Is the next step a prospectus outline of the topic, or wait to submit a proposal draft?
- Can we schedule our next meeting now? How much time before our next meeting should I send you the prospectus/proposal for review?
Thanks to Tanya for sharing these helpful questions!